When to Consider Air Duct Replacement
Air ducts are a crucial part of a heating and air conditioning system and the conduits for the conditioned air to be distributed around the home. Damaged air ducts can cause a house to be uncomfortable and can be terrible for a home’s utility bills. Air ducts are like the veins and arteries of the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning system; keeping them in working order is vital to the overall system's function.
What Indicates a Damaged Air Duct?
If a home’s ducts are damaged, there will be signs that indicate it. There are several obvious indicators that ducts have sustained damage or require attention. They include:
- Malodorous Vents: If unpleasant smells come from the ducts, this indicates several possibilities. It can mean mold or mildew growth, or some sort of pest may have taken up residence inside. While neither of these options is pleasant, professionals can fairly easily remedy them.
- Unusual Noises: Whistling and whooshing sounds can mean that there are punctures in the air ducts. Scratching and skittering sounds can indicate pests.
- Low Airflow: If certain rooms do not seem to be getting the proper amount of airflow, there may be a block or some kind of damage to the air ducts.
- High Energy Bills: Damaged air ducts are inefficient, and the HVAC system must work harder to keep the home cool. Thus, the utility bills will be higher.
Why Should Ducts Be Replaced?
There are many benefits of air duct replacement. While most people are hesitant to spend money, the cost of repair is outweighed by the efficiency of a completely functional HVAC system. The repairs often pay for themselves over time through savings on the utility bills. This is just one major benefit of having ducts replaced by professionals. Here are some others:
- Less noise
- More consistent temperatures
- Better indoor air quality (IAQ)
- More energy-efficient system
- Less likelihood of future problems
What Are the Methods of Duct Repair?
Air duct replacement and repair are fairly simple for the trained HVAC pro. Repair methods include things as simple as patches and caulking to slightly more complicated techniques involving spray lining using an aerosol-based sealant. While these sound like methods that might be appropriate for a DIY repair, repairing ductwork is not as simple as it seems.
A homeowner should leave it to the professionals because they can use the proper tools and know the appropriate methods of checking their work to verify that the problem is indeed solved. Allowing a professional to complete the project gives the homeowner peace of mind and prevents injury or damage that might be caused to someone who tried to perform the repair without any training.
About Morrow Mechanical
Morrow Mechanical has over 20 years of experience serving its neighbors in Spring, TX, and the surrounding areas. They provide upfront pricing, same-day service, financing, and extended hours. Call them today for heating and air conditioning services in Spring, TX.
Distribution Links +