Spooky Things That Can Go Wrong With Your HVAC System This Halloween

Beware of These Problems 

It’s Halloween, and everyone is on their guard against spooks and tricks. While most of the scaring done during the season is all in good fun, there are a few things that homeowners should be wary of around the house that could cause a real scare. 

Coinciding with the festivities is a change in the weather that can bring about a few issues. People will start cycling on the heater to stave off the chills as outdoor temperatures drop. However, furnaces and heating and cooling systems can be dangerous, so homeowners should be aware of the signs of danger so they can enjoy their Halloween safely. 

Carbon Monoxide Leaks

detectors Carbon monoxide is a silent threat that can lurk in any home with gas appliances and is a danger associated with a broken furnace. This poisonous gas is tasteless, colorless, and odorless and is the byproduct of the combustion of natural gas, propane, or wood fires. The only way to safely detect carbon monoxide leaks early is with carbon monoxide detectors that are recommended to be hung near flame-producing appliances. 

Exposure to carbon monoxide can cause chronic and acute symptoms, so it’s important to catch carbon monoxide leaks early. Signs of exposure are:

  • Nausea
  • Headaches
  • Vomiting
  • Dizziness
  • Shortness of breath
  • Heart problems 

Smelly Mold Growth 

mold Old homes are synonymous with musty odors, but bad odors can also plague new homes. Most often, musty smells are attributable to moisture problems in the house and are a sign of mold. In old homes, this can be the product of poor insulation that allows humid air inside. In newer homes, high moisture is likely due to a well-sealed home with a heating and cooling system that isn’t properly regulating humidity. 

Heating and cooling systems have moisture inside the unit that can travel into the air ducts, and when humidity is allowed to run rampant in old or new homes, this spurs mold growth. Despite the cleanliness of the air in a home, mold can grow and cause musty odors if moisture is high. If musty odors are present in a home, the first place to look is the furnace and AC. 

Often the cause of humidity problems in a home is simply a lack of maintenance. In some cases, air duct cleaning or coil cleaning will be better options for removing mold that has grown in the ductwork. If homeowners suspect mold, they should call a professional immediately to prevent the negative health effects of mold.

Dangerous Overheating Furnaces 

One sign of an overheating furnace is also noticed by the nose. Often overheating furnaces give off a strong burning smell and a humming noise. An overheating furnace is extremely dangerous because it can lead to furnace fires. 

A furnace overheating can be due to neglected maintenance. Furnace maintenance includes cleaning the burner area and changing air filters on time. This is necessary because when the air filter is dirty, dust can settle near the burner and slowly burn when the furnace starts up. Furnace maintenance removes this dust and allows technicians to check safety devices to ensure that the furnace won’t overheat upon start-up. 

About Morrow Mechanical

Morrow Mechanical has more than two decades of experience serving Spring, TX residents, and the surrounding areas. They offer upfront pricing, always on-time service, financing, and extended hours. Call them today for furnace repair and maintenance in Spring, TX.